Experience the Journey


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

Monday, August 11, 2008

Visions of another reality














Imagine waking up each day to temperatures in the upper 90's, not knowing if you will have food, or if the water truck will arrive with fresh drinking water! This is what we experienced today, as we visited the slums of Shah Abad. As we entered the slums, we had to park on the side of the highway, and walk in, since the road has been broken (we assume that it will be fixed, allowing for automobile access). I first noticed the pigs and dogs roaming, and a truck. It turns out to be a water truck carrying fresh water to the village. Unfortunately, not everyone will get the freshwater, only the fastest, and those with the largest buckets. I pray that each family would get at least SOME fresh water, but I do not know if that happened.

As we entered further, we were greeted with many stares, most never having seen a westerner before...especially a group of 20! The people warmed up to us, and were very willing to show us their homes and village.

Most of the homes in this section of the slums are brick structures. The homes had only a thin mat serving as a bed, and a line of rope to hang the family clothes, no other furnishings.

The children, especially, loved having their photos taken, and being show the preview on the digital cameras. I found a group of women that were very happy to have their photos taken, and one ran into her house to bring out a 15 day old baby...she just became a grandma! Even in the deepest of poverty, with little to no food, very little fresh drinking water, unbelievably hot temperatures, the joy of a grandmother's love was seen!

As we walked further, I was struck by a large water hole filled with trash, human and animal feces, and covered with swarms of bugs! As a mother, I wanted to move all of those children away from pending illness!

Overall, my heart was breaking for the people of Shah Abad. God has allowed my heart to break, reminding me that He has called me to come here to share His love, and that He will take care of them,
I am here only to serve!




5 comments:

Laura Meeuwsen said...

We are praying for all of you!! Thank you for the updates. As we vacation in Sunriver and enjoy all the comforts of this place, its sobering to think of the life that these people have and their daily struggle.
Sending our love your way!
:) The Meeuwsen Family

tara m. said...

Thank you so much for sharing the journey with me. I love reading your updates. I am praying for your team as you spread God's love and care in desperate conditions. My hope is that the people you encounter are able to see through your team that God is good.

whitecasa said...

I am so blessed by your courage and willingness to serve. I pray that God will guide your steps. Love is the greatest power on this Earth. The Holy Spirit will help you share it with those who need it most.
This team is awesome! Yeah God!!
Lisa

Unknown said...

My prayers are with you.
-Eric Blauer
Jacob's Well Church, Spokane WA.

Mami said...

We are praying for you all. As someone that has served the poor, I wish everyone that lives in comfort to take time and serve, makes you appreciate where God has you and to see beyond our small cities. Your words bring back so many memories, thank you for sharing what you are going through.